Dornan Driving School – Motorcycle Course – New Brunswick
We are pleased and excited to announce that Dornan Academy of Defensive Driving School is the 1st Government Approved Motorcycle Course in New Brunswick. We are now offering instructional and practical training on the safe operation of motorcycles. Our instructors come to us with over 80 years of motorcycle teaching experience and we have designed a course that is invaluable to new and experienced riders.
Here at Dornan Academy, we can be depended on to ensure our students receive top notch training and leave here knowing they have obtained the skills necessary to become confident, safe and defensive riders on our busy roads and highways today
Effective April 1, 2015 the Province of New Brunswick puts into affect the Mandatory Motorcycle License Program. It will consist of the GDL ( Graduated Driver’s License) for anyone who has never previously held their Motorcycle License. The GDL Program will consist of the following:
- Program is 12 months duration;
- Minimum age is 16 years old (Participants under 18 years old must have consent witnessed by a non-relative;
- Successfully pass an approved Motorcycle Training Program;
- Must pass a vision screening, their written, basic and signs test;
- Must maintain a zero blood alcohol concentration (BAC) for the duration of the GDL program regardless of your age;
- Cannot drive from sunset to sunrise;
- Are not permitted to tow a vehicle (ie trailer) as defined by the Motor Vehicle Act;
- No passengers permitted on the bike for the duration of the GDL program;
- Must have their Motorcycle GDL a License for 12 months without interruption; and
- Must successfully pass their on-road test before becoming fully licensed.
We are so excited to provide our students with new 2014 GROM’s by Honda to train on. They are a sleek sporty street legal bike with electronic ignition, fuel injection, electric start and manual clutch. With inverted forks, disc brakes, fat tires on a 12 inch rim and a 125cc engine. The GROM has a short wheel base and low centre of gravity, weighing in at only 225 lbs (102kg). The GROM certainly is a great bike and the price tag makes it affordable for all riders.
Here are some specifications on the GROM:
- Engine Type: Liquid Cooled
- Single Cylinder
- Displacement: 125cc
- Curb Weight: 225 lbs (102 kg)
- Fuel Capacity: 5.5 litres
- Seat Height: 30.1 in. (765mm)
- Brakes: Front: Single 220mm disc with hydraulic-piston calipers
- Rear: Single 190mm disc with hydraulic single piston caliper
- Transmission: Four Speed
- Color: Pearl Red or Metallic Black
N.B. Motorcycle Course
- 1st NB Gov’t Approved Motorcycle Course
- Certified Instructors with over 15yrs teaching
- New 2014 Motorcycles for training
- In class training three(3) Hrs on Friday night
- Hands on motorcycle training 17 Hrs on Sat,Sun
The New Brunswick Government discusses tougher motorcycle rules. Public Safety Minister Bruce Northrup introduced changes this spring that are designed to keep motorcyclists safe. The new rules were among a series of bills that were passed.